Friday, September 5, 2008

Possibly a Bone Marrow Donor

I got a call from a Bone Marrow Donor Program staff.
Apparently I'm a possible match for someone who needs to get a bone marrow transplant.

I registered at the Tofu Festival in 2004, when Nancy's brother got sick & was looking for a donor. Apparently there aren't a lot of Asians registered for bone marrow donation compared to the number of people who need them transplanted.

So I gave them a drop of blood on a piece of cardboard paper.
And they told me they'll call me if I'm a match w/ anyone.

And so I got a call.

After going over the general procedure of how a bone marrow gets extracted from your body, Helen (the staffer) said I could think it over the weekend to see if I want to donate. I just gave my OK on the spot. It'll probably hurt a lot, but it's only temporary. Plus it'll give me more excuse to ditch work.

Then she went through a bunch of medical questions. I disclosed the lump removal surgery I had earlier this year, although it probably won't be a problem.

Now they're going to test the 4-year old drop of blood to see if I'm a perfect match. Something about testing to see if I match all six of some medical term I don't remember. The result will be ready in one week to three months.

Then I go into a lab for more testing. Probably to make sure I healthy enough to donate.

1 comment:

ardith said...

that's so cool. I hope that you have a match for that person, though.