Saturday, October 11, 2008

Shiz Can't Cook Series: Baking is Hard Too

I wanted to make apple tarts because I saw it on America's Test Kitchen (ATK) season 8 and it looked easy enough.

Well, ATK makes their own pie crust.
But I don't have a food processor, plus I'm not good at measurements... and pie crusts require a lot of precise measurements, so I bought the Pilsbury baking dough.

I've been wanting to make this for couple of weeks, since I bought the dough a while back. But I never got around to buying the apples. I usually don't eat apples, so I'm not in the habit of buying them.

But I bought two Granny Smith apples at the Korean market when I bought the teppanyaki supplies, so I was good to go.

Sat doesn't really like apple pie, and she was against peach pie or blueberry pie. So I said I'll try it with pineapples too.

I forgot to take pictures while I was preparing the stuff.
Shows how nervous I was.

Anyway, ATK said to prepare the apples first (after you make your pie crust dough... but I skipped that part). They peeled the apple with a veggie peeler. I didn't know you could do that. I went with the traditional paring knife, though.

I don't have an apple corer (I don't know anyone who owns one), so I just cut the apple in half and started slicing. When I got near the middle of the apple, I just chopped off the core part. That seemed to do the trick fine.

For the pineapples, we had canned pineapple wedges. So I cut the wedges into thirds to make them thin enough for the fruit tart. They ended up being the perfect size. Yay!

I cut the baking dough into 4 parts, flattened them out a bit & rolled the edges.
Then I realized the apple slices were too big for the 1/4 piece tart crust, so I had to cut some of them in half. It's all about making little adjustments, isn't it?

ATK added a BUNCH of sugar on top, so I thought I put a lot... but it wasn't enough. More on that later.
I also cut up butter into tiny cubes & sprinkled them on top of the fruit. I forgot what it was for, but it must make the tart delicious.

I put the tarts in for 20 mins, then planned on turning them around in the oven for 20 mins. Cuz that's what ATK said. But it was too long. I took them out after 30 mins, but that was still too long. The crust was burnt, but edible.



Next time I'll dump double the amount of sugar on top.

We poured honey on the tarts, and they tasted better. Well, ATK did put watered down fruit jam on top, but Susan said it was to make it look glossy... maybe that adds to the sweetness.

Anyway, I'll try this again at someone's party. I'll try not to burn it next time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think they look pretty good.

Shizuki said...

dee >
The crust is all burnt. Tasted burnt. Bleah.

But I ate it all.