Thursday, May 8, 2008

Lump Removal Surgery

I had an outpatient surgery done today.

I discovered a small lump on the side of my belly (called "flank") on New Year's Eve, went to see a doctor in January, got an ultrasound done in January... then procrastinated about going to see a surgeon about it until April.
(a quick medical history, for those who were out of touch)

So I went to a Surgery Center located in Santa Monica to get the mysterious lump removed.
Surgery Center of the Pacific Entrance

Checked in at 9:45am, waited until 11:30 to be called in.
I was told not to eat or drink anything after midnight the night before, so I was pretty hungry by then. Each time the nurses asked if I had anything to eat today, I told them I was hungry & they apologized for the pain. Good thing they weren't dealing with Ards.

It seems excessive, but every staff verified what surgery I was getting done & checked my ID bracelet. Like 6 times.

The nurse also wrote a "no" on my left belly, and the doctor wrote a "yes" on my right belly.
No Yes
So with everything in place, they got me prepped for surgery.

The nurse stuck an IV needle on my left hand. Then the anesthesiologist added something to the IV needle area saying it'll make me feel like I had a glass of wine. And I don't really remember much else after that.

What I vaguely remember is seeing the operating room lights above me (I must have woken up a little when they moved me from the rolling bed to the operating table) & feeling cold on the operating table (they probably took off the blanket that was on me).

Then I have a dream-like memory of someone wedging me up with pillows (so they can get to my lump easier).

And being transferred to the rolling bed.

Next thing I remember is staring at the white wall of the prepping room. I'm guessing they make us face the wall so we're not disoriented by all the movement in the room. I must have been talking to myself as I was waking up, because I had a nurse ask me to repeat what I was saying.

As I woke up, I remember two things:
1. What color corresponds to what on the monitor (I figured out white is breathing!)
2. How I wish I had my camera, so I can take a picture of the IV needle in my hand.

The doctor came by to tell me that it looks like a fatty tumor, and they'll get lab results on Monday.

After I changed out of the surgery garb, they carted me out in a wheelchair.
Shiz on Wheelchair

I was told I could do normal daily activities, so I worked for couple of hours right when I got home. I did take a nap later, though.

Note: this post was added retroactively.

No comments: