Friday, June 6, 2008

Shiz Can't Cook Series: Chicken Noodle Casserole

I decided to make a chicken noodle casserole... after reading Rishiri Konbu's Real Inter-racial Marriage blog. She talks about how her mother-in-law made a casserole & how she's been imitating and arranging the ingredients.

Today is a photo blog:


Shopping at Ralphs. Bought chicken thigh, zucchini, broccoli & mayo.

I also bought bread, which we've been out of since Fanime. I always buy two types -- 12 grain bread & wheat bread. And I bought another jar of pineapple preserve & a pack of sliced ham.


The ingredients of the casserole. I already had a can of Campbell cream of mushroom soup, and I forgot to include it in the picture. Oh, milk too.


I started cutting the zucchini & realized two whole zucchini was too much for an 8" square casserole dish. This is what happens when you don't plan ahead of time.


Egg noodles were boiled for 7 minutes, since Jon told me to not cook them all the way. Of course I cooked too much pasta for the casserole dish too...


So after dumping in all the ingredients into the casserole dish, the pasta was overflowing. So I had to take some of it out.


Sauce mixture of cream of mushroom soup, mayo & milk.

Of course I didn't measure any of it.
The only measured item was the can of soup, because I used the whole can. OK, that's not measuring... but it's exactly what the recipe (that I didn't follow) said.

I ended up not putting in enough mayo. I guess I should have made it almost 1-to-1, but since I was adding milk, I thought I should use less mayo. Mental note: follow じゅるる's instructions.

I wanted to add mustard to the sauce mix, but all the mustard in our house was old.


I poured the sauce mix onto the pasta mix. I mixed it up a bit, but I should have covered up all the pasta w/ the sauce because the non-covered pasta came out crispy & hard.

And topped the casserole w/ Parmesan cheese. I wish I had a food processor to make bread crumbs... Maybe should have used パン粉?


Chicken noodle casserole finished!

It wasn't so bad, I think. But there was a lot of crunchy pieces along the edges.


See, we finished. So it wasn't bad at all.


Next attempt?
Sloppy Joe's

Or home-made pizza dough (and the rest of the pizza), although that may be too big of a jump for Shiz who can't cook.

PS.

I was going to include broccoli in the casserole. But I didn't clean the frying pan after cooking the chicken & zucchini, and the burned bits made the broccoli brown... and I didn't think the burnt pieces would look good in a white-ish cream sauce.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Looks good. ^^ ガンバレ〜 with the cooking!