Sunday, November 2, 2008

Shiz Can't Cook Series: Banana Bread

First things first.
I hate bananas.

Sat had bananas rotting in our kitchen.
She had bought a bunch, but she couldn't finish it all. I did recommend that she buy a bunch & split half w/ Dave. Although I would be perfectly happy if Dave took all of the bananas...

What I hate most about bananas is rotten bananas.
This goes back to when I used to live w/ Erikku & the Lum-Chaos at Overland. Erikku had eaten bananas, but left the peels in the room... and his room was filled with the smell of rotten bananas!

I didn't like bananas before, but the smell of rotten banana peels just pushed me over the top.

Anyway, I digress.
I didn't want rotten bananas sitting in our kitchen. And Sat said she couldn't drink two shakes in one day. So I looked up banana bread recipes online.

That's one thing I can tolerate. Banana bread that doesn't taste too much like banana. Gemma's mom made really good banana bread that didn't taste like bananas.

Back to the recipe.
The first page I went to is the Food Network recipe page. But it required measuring flour, baking soda and all that... and I can't bake. I hate measuring!

So I looked up "banana bread recipe using cake mix."
And those recipes exist! Huzzah!

Yellow cake mix + bananas = banana bread

Hmmm... we only have chocolate cake mix (for when we have our chocolate cravings in the middle of the night & need to make chocolate cake). Not even the marbled cake in the pantry! So I decided to go out and buy yellow cake mix.

Albertsons had the Pilsbury cake mix for $1 each. Plenty good. Who cares if we use a cheap cake mix, since we're going to mess it up by adding bananas in it anyway.


Oh, I peeled the two rotting bananas.
That was the closest I've been to bananas in over 10 years. I don't even touch bananas. Peeling them was torture. I was making faces, so Sat took pictures (see her Flickr account). By the second banana, I was tearing up.

Cutting the bananas wasn't so bad. I think the peels are where most of the smell is. Grossest thing ever! I need to throw out the trash tomorrow morning before the whole house smells like bananas.

Dave was kind enough to mash the bananas for me.
And I forgot to take pictures of the that, but I think Sat did.

Meanwhile, I added 1 cup water, 1/3 cup oil & 3 eggs to the cake mix.

And stirred, and stirred, and stirred.
I don't bother to get all the lumps out. It'll bake itself out, I believe.

I had Dave add the banana mush into the batter, and I mixed in chopped pecans.

I think all baked goods should have nuts in them. Cookies are delicious with nuts (and oats!). Well, unless you're allergic to nuts. I'm so glad I'm not.

I poured the batter into my red silicone loaf pan. I forgot to take a picture of this part too.

And I added more nuts on top. And sunflower seeds.

And the finished product is this


Came out pretty good, for a cake mix.
The recipe said to add vanilla, but we don't have vanilla in our pantry & I didn't want to bother buying one. I don't think it makes a difference.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All Satsuki did was take pictures and eat the bread.