Saturday, December 27, 2008

Shiz Can't Cook Series: Killer Shrimp Soup

Vu found a Killer Shrimp soup recipe online, so we decided to make it at home.

Although I don't have rosemary. Or celery seed. Or fennel seed. Or chicken broth. Or white wine. Or clam juice.

After work, Dee went to Trader Joe's to pick up shrimp & white wine. And I went to Ralphs to get the rest of the stuff.

I didn't know how much 1 quart of chicken broth was, since the box says "32oz." Was 1 pint 16oz? So a quart is 32oz? Or is it more? I couldn't find the info on the chicken broth box, so I bought two packs. (note: 1 quart is 32oz)

I never bought clam juice before, but it comes in a small grapefruit juice-like bottle. Although I couldn't buy clam juice for anything other than Killer Shrimp soup. Clams, bleah!

Oh, it was my first time buying herbs & spices too! Hmm, that's a lie because I bought cayenne pepper before.

Anyhoo, while Dee was mincing the garlic, I was preparing the broth.
I poured out the chicken broth. Then added 2 tablespoons of rosemary. Then added 1 tablespoon of black pepper... only to realize it was supposed to be 1 teaspoon. Whoops. We scooped out as much as we could.

After the garlic was put in, I realized the soup was too pale. Oh, I forgot to put in tomato paste! So we added that, and let it simmer.

In the end, the soup came out pretty good.

Kinda bitter... which Dee thinks is from the tomato paste.

Vu couldn't make it today, so we'll make it for him next time.
Since I have no other use for rosemary, celery seed or fennel seed.

1 comment:

Erika said...

You can look up recipes that use rosemary, celery seed, or fennel seed. Or do what I do, open up a can of soup and start dumping stuff in to make it taste better. :D