Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Home Bakery Prep Phase

So today's mission was to read through the bread machine manual & to go shopping for basic supplies at Sprouts.

It seems simple enough.
Measure, dump everything in, set the machine & go.

I wanted to try something I'd want to eat... like scones or tasty treats, but Sat thought I should start w/ something basic since I'm prone to messing up.

The only thing I could mess up is measuring stuff... and that is a part I'll most likely mess up. Cuz I never follow directions, really. I'm a "good enough" measurer... which doesn't work for baking.

So I decided on white bread w/ walnuts.
The trickiest part is putting in the walnuts after the beep. I don't know when the beep will sound, but I'll read up on it some more.

Anyway, since we don't have any baking supplies at our place, time to head over to Sprouts. Cuz they have a bulk foods section and they had all sorts of flour.

My list of things to buy:
* Bread flour
* Active yeast
* Baking powder (when I get to my scones)
* Dry milk
* Walnuts

What the heck is dry milk? Powder milk?
Eh, they'll have it in the store anyway, right?

So I go to the baking section... find everything but dry milk.

They have evaporated milk, but that's not dry... I text Sat to have her look it up. She says it's powder milk. But I don't see it in the shelves.

But I did locate a container of powder milk by the bulk food section. Whee!

So I have everything I need.
Maybe I'll give the bread machine a try tomorrow.

1 comment:

Erika said...

I think powdered milk is usually with the teas and coffees.

When you measure flour, it's good to spoon the flour into the measuring cup, and then take a knife (or a chopstick which I do most often) and level it off. I usually lay down a paper towel and put the cup there. Excess flour goes back into the bag. It's really important to level off baking soda/powder because too much will make it really bitter.

Good luck tomorrow! :) (Or I guess today.)