Saturday, April 2, 2011

Shiz Can't Cook Series: Baked Cheese Cake

Last week, Ards offered to help make cupcakes for Popo's birthday.

It was a red velvet cake recipe, so it said to get 2 cups of cream cheese ready for the frosting. So Ards got a tub of cream cheese from Costco. Only to realize that 2 cups was 1/4 of the tub (to her credit, she was calculating for two batches... but we didn't need that much frosting & only made one batch for the two batches of cupcakes).

Since I was left w/ a good amount of cream cheese, Sat told me to make cheesecake.

Okay, I heard it was pretty easy... but I never made cheesecake before. And with no one around to oversee my baking? This can't end up good.

I bought a cheesecake book at BookOff ($1).
Also looked at CookPad.
And found a "just mix everything in a bowl" recipe for baked cheese cake.

Recipe conversion from Japanese measurements to US measurements is tough, but that's where Google/Bing comes in handy. They're just estimates, but good enough for me!

First, I tried to whisk the ingredients all together.
But lots of little clumps of cream cheese remained.

Time to whip 'em all up in the Magic Bullet!
Argh! The recipe is too much for one MB cup. Split the mixing into two batches...

Ta-dah!
Looks very foamy, but let's pour away in silicone cups (lined w/ cupcake sheets).

It was barely enough for 12 cups.
(The original recipe was for a 15cm round. That's like... 6 inches?)

Baked the cheesecake for 40 mins.
When they came out, they were nice and puffy. But I knew it was going to shrink when it cools down... and shrink it did.


The middle seems a little undercooked, but it has the sour-ish taste of Japanese cheesecakes.

I heard you can make this in the rice cooker too.

No comments: