Friday, July 23, 2010

Shiz Can't Cook Series: Walnut Bread II

The bread machine has a feature where you can just have it make the dough.

Which is what I really wanted the bread machine for... so I can make my homemade pastries!

See, I've seen so many pictures of people making ham-and-cheese bread, corn-and-mayo bread, hotdog bread... Cookpad just makes you want to... cook. Even if you can't cook. Like me.

So I decided I'll try making walnut bread using a loaf pan.
It's easier to gift(?) a bread made in a loaf pan, you know. Doesn't look like it came out of a bread machine, see.

But our oven has issues.
Namely, it's not hot enough. And I don't know how to calibrate an oven, so that's a problem.

I figured, if the recipe says to bake at 350 degrees, I should set the oven at 400-450 degrees.

Which probably would work... but I also didn't know how long to bake for.
The recipe said 40 mins, so I thought... why not?

Wrong.

Cuz the bread... came out like charcoal.
Well, only on the outside.

The inside was perfect!
So what went wrong?

I have no idea... but it might be a while before I make a second attempt baking outside the bread machine.

So for SDCC, I ended up making another loaf using the bread machine.

PS. I forgot to take pictures of the charcoal loaf. Sorry.

No comments: